Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, the requirements outlined below that applicants for graduate study at SDSU submit scores for the GRE or GMAT are suspended for the Spring and Fall 2021 admissions cycles.
Step 1: Submit a University Online Application via Cal State Apply.
- All applicants must fill out an online application on Cal State Apply and pay the required fee. Additional details can be found at Graduate Admissions.
- A SDSU RED ID Number will then be assigned which allows tracking of application status online.
Step 2: Send official transcripts and test scores to Graduate Admissions.
- GRE (and if applicable, TOEFL) test scores must be sent directly from ETS. (Institution Code: 4682)
- Official transcripts (in sealed envelopes) issued within the last year from all colleges and universities attended.
Graduate Admissions Document Processing Unit
San Diego State University
San Diego, CA 92182-7416
Note: (1) Do not send transcripts before submitting the Cal State Apply application as this may result in processing delays. (2) If you previously attended SDSU, you need only submit transcripts for work completed since last attendance. (3) If you are a current SDSU student, you are not required to submit an SDSU transcript.
International documents: If you have international coursework, you must have your school send us one official original-language record of all academic coursework and proof of degree. For each document you must also send a certified literal English translation, which can come directly from the school itself or from a professional, certified translator. The translation must contain all information shown on the original-language documents. For details on which documents are required, visit the Requirements by Country page.
Step 3: Complete the Sociology Department application via Interfolio.
The Sociology MA Program application requires the following items be submitted to them via Interfolio.
- A statement of purpose -- include your areas of interest and which faculty members you would like to work with. Please limit response to 750 words.
- A writing sample -- preferably an academic paper and include a brief explanation describing the purpose, or context, for your paper. If this is not available, include an extended three to five (3-5) page personal statement. Additionally, you may upload other documents in support of your application.
- Three letters of recommendation -- at least two of your letters of recommendation must be from persons who can speak to academic ability.
- Unofficial copies of transcripts from all colleges and universities attended – these do not need to be sent directly from the colleges, photocopies are acceptable.
*Please reference the Graduate Admissions Sociology page for the deadlines for each step.
**Prospective international students requiring an F-1 visa should apply as soon as possible. For detailed instructions on this admissions process please visit the International Admissions website.